This error is caused when your hard drive has set the bksb database files to be compressed, to resolve this issue please follow the steps below:
- Click Start
- Click “Run” (or hold [windows key] + R)
- Type “services.msc” (no quotes)
- Locate “SQL Server (BKSBPORTAL)” (This may vary dependant on the way you installed bksb)
- Right Click
- Click “Stop”
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\
- Right click “bksb_mini.mdf”
- Click “Properties”
- Click “Advanced…”
- Uncheck “Compress contents to save disk space”
- Click OK
- Repeat for bksb_mini_log.ldf
- Go back to “Services”
- Right click “SQL Server (BKSBPORTAL)”
- Click “Start”
Now bksb should be able to connect to your database fine.
MSXML6, SQL Server Database Services & Workstation Components, books online … failed to install.
MSXML6 Service pack 2 has been installed which has a version higher than the version being installed. This is actually incorrect as the version of MSXML6 that is installed by SQL 2005 is newer than the MSXML6 Service Pack 2 installation.
404 – Page cannot be found.
This error is generally generated because of one of the following reasons:
- IIS has prohibited ASP.NET v2.0.50727.
- DNS is not resolving due to proxy server being used.
- IIS is not running on port 80.
IIS has prohibited ASP.NET v2.0.50727
- Open Internet Information Services.
- Click ‘Web Service Extensions’.
- Select ‘ASP.NET v2.0.50727’.
- Click Allow.
- Refresh the page.
DNS is not resolving due to proxy server being used.
You need to add an exception to IE:
- Open ‘Internet explorer’.
- Click ‘Tools’.
- Click ‘Internet Options’.
- Click ‘Connections’ tab.
- Click ‘LAN Settings’.
- Click Advanced under ‘proxy server’ group panel.
- Add the server name as an exception in Exceptions box.
IIS is not running on port 80
Sometimes software, like ESM Server for exams, uses port 80 which means that IIS is unable to bind to this port.
In the case above, you need to either:
- stop the other service and change the port it runs on or
- change the port in IIS.
The following will guide you through changing the port in IIS:
- Open ‘Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager’.
- Expand ‘Web sites’.
- Right click on your virtual website (Usually ‘Default Web Site’).
- Click Properties.
- Change ‘TCP port:’ under ‘Web site identification’ group panel. (Change this to something that is not used e.g. 8080.)
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
- Right click the virtual website.
- Click Start (if not already started).
Now test the website with an address similar to the example.http://servername:8080/bksb_Portal/
An alternative to this method is to:
- uninstall bksb
- create a new virtual website and
- bind to the port of your choice.
Assessment is blank or has no content e.g. no questions or images, apart from the ‘next’ and ‘back’ boxes appearing.
This is caused when Adobe Flash Player is below version 8.
Install flash player, supplied with bksb, or from www.adobe.com.
Flash installer is included with bksb and can be generally found in “C:\Program Files\bksb\bksb Standalone v3 IA & Diag\” called “install_flash_player_active_x.exe”
Once Flash Player 8 or above has been installed, the assessment will show all content.
When installing a bksb product you receive the error stating that the installer was interrupted.
Windows Server 2000, 2003 & 2008
- ASP.NET 2.0 has not been fully registered with IIS
- Internet Enhanced security is blocking the installation
Windows Sevrer 2008 & Vista
- IIS 6 Metabase compatability is not installed
IIS 6 Metabase compatibility is not installed
To install the IIS 6.0 Management Compatibility Components by using the Windows Server 2008 Server Manager
- Click Start, click Administrative Tools and then Server Manager.
- In the left navigation pane, expand Roles, and then right-click Web Server (IIS) and select Add Role Services.
- On the Select Role Services pane, scroll down to IIS 6 Management Compatibility.
- Select the check boxes for IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility and IIS 6 Management Console.
- Click Next from the Select Role Services pane, and then click Install at the Confirm Installations Selections pane.
- Click Close to leave the Add Role Services wizard.
To install the IIS 6.0 Management Compatibility Components by using the Windows Vista Control Panel
- Click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs and Features, and then click Turn Windows features on or off.
- Open Internet Information Services.
- Open Web Management Tools.
- Open IIS 6.0 Management Compatibility.
- Select the check boxes for IIS 6 Metabase and IIS 6 configuration compatibility and IIS 6 Management Console.
- Click OK.
ASP.NET 2.0 has not been fully registered with IIS:
- Click Start
- Click Run
- Type cmd
- Click OK
- Type C:
- Type CD C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
- Type aspnet_regiis –i
Once ASP.NET has finished installing to IIS, you may run the bksb installation again.
Internet Enhanced security is blocking the installation
- Open ‘Control Panel’
- Open ‘Add or Remove Programs’
- Click ‘Add/Remove Windows Components’
- Deselect ‘Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration’
- Click Next
- Click Finish
- Launch bksb installer again
The diagnostic results may slow down after you have had a substantial amount of learners taking diagnostic assessments. (This may seem to be an intermittent issue.)
The update below incorporates the following fixes:
- IE 8 small assessment window
- IA Summary slow loading (bksb Reporting)
The diagnostic page slows down as more and more learners take diagnostic assessments. This is due to a view which is populated with queries from many different tables. This view is queried for each resource that the learner needs to work on; therefore some results will load faster than others.
We have modified the diagnostic page to pull in all data needed at the start of page load and then store and use data from memory. In some cases this brings page load times down from 20-30 seconds to 1-2 seconds.
To apply the rolling update please Click Here
Update for UK customers only
To apply this update, scroll down to ‘Solution’.
At bksb we are always looking at ways to improve our software. We greatly welcome feedback from customers and endeavour to add requested features and fix any issues.
This FAQ article links to a rolling update of bksb which can be applied to bring bksb up to the latest version.
The change log has been moved to the bottom of this page
WARNING: Applying an update to the wrong product may require a re-installation.
There are 2 updates below, 1 for bksb_Portal and another for bksb_Reporting (aka Group Profile)
bksb Portal: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\bksb_Portal\
bksb Reporting: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\bksb_Reporting\
- Download & Save
- Run/open the file
- If C:\inetpub\wwwroot\bksb_Portal\ is in the portal location, click update. Otherwise, click browse to select the location of the bksb_Portal folder.
- Once you have selected the location of your working bksb_Portal
- Click “Backup Database”
- Select location to backup database. (This folder must have permission for sql to write to it. Add the group ‘everyone’ with modify access if needed.)
- Click OK.
- Wait for backup to complete.
- If backup failed, check permissions.
- If backup is successful, then carry on to update bksb.
- Click the Update button
- Once successfully completed, the updater will show the following screen:
- If the update was unsuccessful, you will receive a message saying that the update failed and an option to view which files were not copied and/or which SQL files could not be executed.
Now follow the same steps as above to update bksb Reporting (making sure to select the bksb_reporting folder).
If you receive error while updating, use the error list to view the error as this could simply be that a file is in use. If you can’t resolve the issue, contact bksb technical support on 01623 627 191 ext 8234
- Support for new IA 2011 R1 update
- Pagination added to group manager page to stop HTML overload of learners list
- Added paper IA 2011 assessment files to Paper assessments link.
- Altered diagnostic summary for group’s to only show completed results.
- No. of tries in IA summary updated for new 2011 Initial Assessments.
- Various other minor fixes.
- Added support for new 2011 Initial Assessment which will be sent out to customers the second half of May and through June.
- Added date selection for Initial assessment summaries.
- Added an option to copy vocation resources to …/bksb_Reporting/VocationalResources/ to be listed within reporting
- Added Paper based English & Mathematic assessments which will be displayed dependant which interactives you have installed to bksb_Portal.
- Added Learning Styles Group Profile back in as the link was previously removed when changing to the new menu structure
- Added an API to access result data from external systems (Phone for advise on usage, a guide is coming soon)
- API returns XML document for learner
- Added support for older (pre standalone update) XML files e.g. Mathematics L2 which caused errors when uploading due to invalid XML characters.
- New IA Group Summary layout showing Best result, Last Result and how many attempts have been taken for English and Mathematic Initial Assessments
- Autodetection of bksb Functional Skills Scenarios platform
- Enabled multiple selections of learners in Group/Groups (Just hold CTRL key to select multiple):
- Remove multiple learners from Learner bin
- Remove multiple learners from a group
- delete multiple groups
- Add learners to multiple groups
- Interactive Resources Configuration will only allow you to turn on Resources that are installed
- Fixed printable page view for diagnostic results (error in update 3.2.1 only)
- Created a seperate options menu for ESOL Examination Equivalences and Interactive Resources configuration pages.
- Fixed bksb update notification image link for reports
- ICT report fixed for area’s showing only “Below Entry 3″ (error in update 3.2.0 only)
- Reporting menu moved to left hand side to make room for more menu items
- ICT resources now auto detected and links created
- Resource links now direct to tutor resources page
- IA report changed to order by last row instead of response date due to uploaded results not finding the highest assessment level.
- Suggested activities shown on ILP
- Assign a learner to a group when adding a new learner to bksb
- SkillCheck names are now shown on the “Learner results” list instead of the workbook number
- Learner results are now grouped, therefore all Level 1 English Skillchecks will stay together and Diagnostic results are all under a Diagnsotics header.
- Incomplete learner results are now shown
- Export to excel button added to all summaries
- “Backup database” button added to the update application
- IA results are now saved with a ResultID which has a rank, comment and result details attached to it instead of using a view.
- IA summaries are now a lot faster due to RankID being inserted and vw_bksb_IAResults view being changed.
- Ability to change group description when changing group name “Group Manager”
- Organisation totals to view usage of SkillChecks
- Diagnostic summary fixed, it was showing the Mathematics IA result for each grey row under English IA column.
- New indexes added to database d to database (up to 100x faster report generation and constantly lower CPU usage)
- Notification of updates available for reporting and portal
- Resource answer files to show on diagnostic report
- Diagnostic Summary (located under Group Summaries)
- IA Summary made to run faster.
- ICT 3.0 IA summary
- All assessment reports available in Learner Results view
- IA Summary allowed groups with & in name to be used
- Entry 2 diagnostic Assessments
- Now passes reference, first name and last name to updated bksb Resources platform for authentication
- Database updates (mainly to keep in-line with bksb reporting)
- ESOL Diagnostic SQL support
- Reference is now trimmed to resolve issue with learners entering a space at the start or end of their reference
- Resources link no longer shows before login (this is to protect resources on internet facing servers)
- Interactive resources now link back to the ILP instead of the assessments page
- Support for linking to the new PLTS assessments
- Removed the assessment intro “This is not a test” screen
- ICT report fixed for area’s showing only “Below Entry 3″
- IA report changed to order by last row instead of response date due to uploaded results not finding the highest assessment level
- Interactive Resources support (Please contact us to request the resources)
- ICT report runs faster
- IA results now inserts into database with a true rank and comment
- Faster loading of diagnostic results page
- When a learner gets directed to a page on the portal, after logging in it will direct the learner to the requested page instead of to the default assessments page. This means that you can now directly link to learner result pages from internal systems and even direct the learner to start an assessment without the learner having to chick on the appropriate assessment
- “Backup database” button added to the update application
- Auto detection of other bksb products added for: bksb_Skillcheck, bksb_Resources, bksb_SkillCheck, bksb_Quickcheck, bksb_ICT and bksb_ESOL
- Pre-loader for the assessment engine and all images within assessments
- Diagnostic report loading time speeded up
- ICT 3.0 report support
- Ability to enable prompting for DOB, GCSE and ESOL data on login
- Diagnostic report now shows resources and worksheets
Minor change log
- Changed Mathematics L1 ‘Est Distance’ resource to point to resource 11 instead of 10 [01/02/2010]
- Fixed issue with wrong date format when uploading from standalone
- Workbook titles changed to full words instead of abbreviations
- HTML removed out of ICT result class that uploads result to database
When a learner is updating their DOB on the Edit Details page, they receive an error after clicking update.
This is caused by the regional language settings on the server being set to a date format other than DD/MM/YYYY (usually US MM/DD/YYYY).
To resolve this issue we can force the regional settings of the server software to accept & process dates in UK format.
- Open web.config in notepad from within C:\inetpub\wwwroot\bksb_Portal\
- Search for <system.web>
- Create a new line below
- Paste the following: <globalization culture=”en-GB”/>
- Now save web.config
bksb will now accept the format of DD/MM/YYYY.
When printing a learners result or action plan, the printout may span multiple pages in large text.
Internet Explorer 6 or below is being used and doesn’t have the option for “Shrink To Fit”.
Upgrade Internet Explorer to a minimum of Internet Explorer 7.
If you already have Internet Explorer 7, then click File > Print Preview… > Change the percentage to “Shrink To Fit”
You have reached the end of the year and want to archive your bksb database.
Download bksb Archiving Technical Guide PDF